Friday, June 04, 2021

Annual Post and Summer Fast 2021

 It seems like I only blog once a year.  I think the end of the school year and my summer fast make me think about blogging for some reason.  It's just not something I have or want to make time for during the school year.  

This week I had to have the dreaded colonoscopy which requires a low fiber diet for several days, and a liquid diet and "clean out" the day before the procedure. This is my second time because I am 50 and because colon cancer runs in my family.  Both times I have had colonoscopies they have found polyps, which puts me on a more frequent schedule than most.   UGH- not fun. It will be 3-4 weeks before we get the biopsy results on the polyps they removed. 

Anyway, I normally wait until school is out to begin my annual 3-5 day fast, but this year decided I should just continue on from the colonoscopy prep rather than have to start from scratch in a couple of weeks.  

I began my clear liquid diet on Tuesday, and continued on through procedure day- Wednesday, then Thursday and Friday. I decided on a four day fast this year, so Friday evening I ended my fast with 3 strawberries, a chunk of apple, and a slice of toast.  I didn't watch my weight each day, but was around 106-107 when I started and 102.7 this morning (Saturday).

I won't repeat all the things I have said about fasting from past years, but I will say that one of my favorite things, is how it helps me refocus my desire toward whole foods,  Once I have fasted, I am not eager to fill my body with junk, empty calories, or processed foods.  It helps me crave fruits and veggies and unprocessed foods.

This whole year I did a form of intermittent fasting where I don't eat until noon and stop eating in the early evening on most days.  I was not super strict, but did keep this as a general rule most of the year. 

I also had a regular routine of working out at Orange Theory Fitness 2-3 times a week.  This is a fairly intense 60 minute workout that incorporates both cardio and strength training.  I love Orange Theory.  It is fun to workout with a group,  the structure of the membership keeps me accountable to a regular workout schedule,  and I am stronger and healthier for it.  This spring I realized I had very little muscle, and started trying to lift a little heavier to build up some upper body strength.   It seemed to be going well until, unfortunately, I overworked my shoulders, without really realizing what was happening.  This has caused  pain, loss of mobility and loss of strength in both shoulders, so I am now in the process of discovering what is wrong and how I can rehabilitate.  Seems to be a different issue and different source of pain/restriction in each shoulder.  SIGH.  Getting older can be so frustrating.

Two more days of school, 3 teacher work days, and a week of summer school, and then I must do our taxes before my summer break officially begins.  Looking forward to it more than ever as it has been a long year!  Summer plans are to try to get my driver's license (after 6 years in Japan!!) spend some time at the beach, and at the lake.  We are so blessed to have many reasonable options for summer vacation plans. 


For various reasons, while I was attempting to fast, my family received a plethora of baked goods that sat on our counter to tempt me! 




No comments: